July 24, 2024

An Attempt at Drawing

It's been years since I tried to draw anything more than a doodle. Then nature blogger David G. reviewed a book on drawing, and I thought I should look into it. Our local library did not have it, so I checked out a book called Drawing Nature for the Absolute Beginner. I didn’t have drawing paper or proper pencils, so I put it off because procrastination is the one art that I am good at. 

Well, today I realized the book was due back at the library so I took a sheet of printer paper and an old pencil, and sat down to draw at least something. The pencil was not sharp, and I couldn’t locate a sharpener, so I whittled it with a knife. 


 I tried to copy three birds. They came out looking cartoonish, but that’s okay. I started drawing the heron too low on the page so I added water for him to stand in. The robin does not look like a robin so I’ll pretend it’s some other bird.

I’m adding a pencil sharpener to the grocery list that I keep on my phone.

10 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you gave it a try before returning the book. And I like how you added the water for the heron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great start, Linda. Keep it up and your skills will improve exponentially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your drawings are great. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for being part at MM. I admire your drawings. They are wonderful. By the way... you have a nice daughter. I see at least her foto.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've taken a step into another creative realm...so great to see. (Since I'm pushing myself to even take a few photos at all) I do hope you continue, and I admit to thinking robins are among the most difficult birds to capture, even in photos. Try a cardinal, perhaps. The heron looks just right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sketches look fantastic. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.