January 1, 2023

Photo of the Year 2022


City Daily Photo has a theme for the first of each month, and the theme for January 1st is always Photo of the Year. It isn’t easy choosing one so I made digital copies of images I thought were worthy and then clicked through them several times. I decided on this river scene because it is intriguing, the golden light is pretty, and the location is the Shenandoah River, which is one focus of my blog.

I’ll show you the runners up in collage form to save space.


The young woman is showing her child an exhibit of photos of endangered animals. The icy tree is a recent shot that I took while walking my dog.

A dramatic sky will often prompt me to take a picture.



The Love sign and the small garden are both at Seven Bends State Park. I work with a group that supports the park and I logged 101 volunteer hours in 2022. The park is still being developed but it is open for hiking, fishing, canoeing, and picnicking. There is a great play area for children near the Hollingsworth Road entrance.

The final four images show a hawk, Charlie and me, a unicorn, and a deer. Looking at these reminds me that I saw some wonderful things in the past year. 


15 comments:

  1. I can see why you chose the rive picture, it's beautiful. I also like the icy tree. Not that there's anything wrong with the others, of course! Charlie has a cute look on his face there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have to start educating children at that age if we are to save the planet's biodiversity, and encourage them not to repeat the dumb errors of their parents and grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...keep snapping in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful collection of photos, each one is a favorite.
    Take care, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good photo collection, and a hard choice. I like the first, so I agree with your final choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year! I like your photo of the icy tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - I think the river scene takes the cake for this past year! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choices, Linda. I love the icy tree one, it's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the Love sign a lot. Your choice is a winning composition. Love the lighting and the reflection you caught.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choices, Linda.

    My good wishes for 2023.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.