March 22, 2022

Bridge to Be Replaced in Mt. Jackson

The highway department is about to replace the old steel truss bridge that takes the Valley Pike across the North Fork of the Shenandoah.


I feel a little sad at losing this old-fashioned bridge, but it was built in 1933 and they can’t keep it safe for much longer. The new bridge will be built to the east of it and will be wider so that there’s room for a shoulder.

This second view was taken through my windshield so it has a cyan tint.
Tuesday Treasures

 

7 comments:

  1. ...this style bridge is common here too, I like them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only one way at a time for now. I am often surprised to run into old bridges like this on highways that Mr. Seri takes me over...he's a Brit who gives me answers to questions on my phone and directs my travels (sounds to me like Pierce Brosnan.) Yes, being almost 100 years old they do need to be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is happening in my area, too. Out with the old, in with the new. The old is usually more attractive though.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be nice if the same style were used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Necessary I know, but always sad to see the old structures go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a lovely looking bridge.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.