May 30, 2021

Field of Flags

Winchester, Virginia


It's Memorial Day Weekend and a display in front of Handley High School honors fallen soldiers with a "Healing Field of Honor." 

The Rotary Club offered to "Honor a loved one" with your flag purchase. Names of those honored were affixed to the flag poles.


I noticed that a historical marker was across the street for the First Battle of Winchester. It marks a Civil War battlefield from May 1862. A Federal Army commanded by Major General Banks was routed here by Stonewall Jackson's army. 

I usually post a church for Inspired Sunday and I found one nearby. This is the Winchester Seventh Day Adventist Church.

11 comments:

  1. Love the first photo!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Memorial Day post and photos. Take care, have a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live near a Veterans Cemetery, and when I drove by the other day, saw all the flags which had been placed by each marker. Stunning. That's a beautiful church photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosto de ver todas as bandeiras, são muito patriotas, isso é bom.
    Aqui até queimam a nossa bandeira.
    cruel.
    bj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the photos Linda, they always bring a tear when I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda I enjoy your daily photos and have followed you for quite a while. I was thinking about my father on Memorial Day .. he was a veteran, happens to be resting at Arlington National Cemetery but is a Winchester native and a graduate of Handley High School so to see the photo of the school with the flags in the foreground.. I felt as though he was communicating with me. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.