October 23, 2020

It's the Skyline Season.

Autumn is a great time to go up to Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park, but don't go on the weekend. The Drive turns into a long parking lot by late morning on Saturday.

Let's start this tour in the foothills. This is a trailhead near the Rapidan River.

This black and white image shows a tree near "Camp Red Bird" at Mathews Arm. It looks to me like it has a face!

Since I have a National Parks Pass, I go to the park just about every week except when it's closed for icy conditions or other reasons. 

I still have September pictures so I put four of them into a collage to show you. 



Skyline Drive is known for views as well as autumn color. Right now the foliage is past its peak at higher elevation, but spectacular for long stretches of middle elevations. 

Many visitors stay to watch the sunset. When skies are partly cloudy, it can be incredible!

We're going back down to the foothills to end the post. This is the post office in Sperryville, one of the gateway towns to the park. 

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful calming views <3 Happy weekend Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Love the Skyline drive images. My hubby and I drove up just for the day to see the fall colors this week. It is a beautiful place. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful place! I enjoyed the tour, and that tree definitely has a face :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...most of the state parks here reach their capacity by mid morning on the weekends. Senior citizens have free entry during the week, so that's when we go. Thanks Linda for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great views, and I love the post office, all business!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great captures! I saw the face on the tree first thing too. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love our national parks, and would love to visit this one sometime. Beautiful sky capture, and I like that little post office!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful scenes!
    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely shots.I miss these trails a lot in this lockdown situation.It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to gardening where you can share about plants and flowers here at http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2020/10/yellow-blooms-in-autumn-garden.html

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.