October 28, 2020

Birds are back!

Songbirds are returning to my yard. I sat on the deck to eat lunch this afternoon and had my camera ready. I was delighted to see that a number of them were flitting about. They may be looking for food in anticipation of a storm that is coming our way tomorrow. 

I was pleased to see Mrs. Cardinal.  I wished I had some seeds to put out for her but I won't start feeding birds until late November. Bird food draws bears to our yard, so I wait until the bears have settled into their winter dens.


The woodpecker was only in view for a moment so I was lucky to get a picture of it. 

The bird on the arbor was more cooperative. It posed for a minute or two. I think it's a mockingbird.

This afternoon I dropped off a load of recycling and then went to Seven Bends State Park for a brief visit. I saw a small bird on the tall grass and grabbed a picture. I did not have a zoom lens with me so I cropped the picture. It wasn't until I pulled it up on the computer that I realized there were two birds. They were only there for a moment. 

Wild Bird Wednesday / My Corner of the World



 

13 comments:

  1. I know that’s a mockingbird and I’m so happy that for once I knew something! You are lucky to have so many yardbirds and I’m sure there will be even more once you are able to safely open your “bird cafe” again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Wonderful variety of birds, I think there is a Goldfinch on the last photo with possible a sparrow. The woodpecker shot is great, love the Mocker.Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...woodpeckers are common here, what with all of the dead ash trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful bird photos - love the cardinal and woodpecker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you but I must say we are getting a few more visitors now that it is colder and they know where to find food!. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your cute visitors especially Mrs. Cardinal!

    Happy Thursday, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great variety of birds! I've been seeing lots of cardinals lately around my feeders. So glad I only have to battle the squirrels and raccoons out this way. Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many pretty little birds. Thank you for sharing them with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are lovely! I will be starting to feed our birds soon. There was a bear roaming our area earlier on but I haven't heard of any sightings lately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful collection of birds you've seen so close by. Glad I don't have to worry about bears. I think my biggest concern here is trying not to startle a skunk when it is visiting the gardens :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed seeing all of these birds, a nice variety.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now incredible to have such gorgeous visitors! I didn't realize that bears liked seeds, but I guess they eat most anything.

    It's great to see your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week !!

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.