June 5, 2020

The First Week of June


I am dedicating this post to the memory of blogger Robert Nicolaescu, who recently passed away from COVID-19. I always looked forward to his artistic black and white images.
1. Skywatch: Dusk, neat Waterlick, VA.

2. Black and White: The gardens next to the Museum of Shenandoah Valley have reopened. We were there on Wednesday after Frank's ENT appointment. One of his ears has stopped up and he has severe tinnitus.

3. I made a Photo Collage of some iPhone pictures that we took there. I did not walk all the way to the water gardens because I'm having foot pain and my ankles are twisting all too often. Frank went down there; it is one of his favorite places.



4. We watched the mini-series on U. S. Grant. It was very interesting, although some of the bloody war scenes made me wince. Grant was a fantastic general, the best (in my studied opinion), in the American Civil War.

This picture is one I took and cropped from a mural in Appomattox.

5. Fences: This gate is across from the Fish Hatchery. The ridge is part of the Massanutten Range.


6. This is Passage Creek next to the fish hatchery. Note the old rock wall on the right. I assume they built up the ground level when they constructed the hatchery.


17 comments:

  1. thanks the words for Robert, I miss him!
    Nice that you could go back to these gardens
    Interesting and beautiful photos and I wish your husband get well soon!
    Have a beautiful Weekend, Elke

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Linda, a wonderful collection of images, I need to get out more, but it doesn't quite feel right sat the moment. Thanks for stopping by, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    Pretty flowers and collage. I like the view of the creek, mountains and the sky! Have a happy day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always saddened when a blogger is lost. Beautiful creek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe it... Robert passed away ...
    :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous flower & plant mosaic! I love your sky photo as well. I am going tomorrow with family to Helsinki Rhododenron Park - a great way to spend time together. BTW I have at the moment ankle pain also, did you send it to me? Joking :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post in memory of Robert.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful shot of the creek. I also like the sky photo. with the cloud layers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful place! I'd like to run, walk or ride a bike close to that small river. I also like the green hill behind the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed the sunset. I have the Grant series recorded on my DVR and just finding a time when I have the time to really concentrate on it. I went to your link re Robert Nicolaescu. His Salvatore Dali inspired picture with the melting masks really touched me. My brother in law had the coronavirus; he was hospitalized for 3 weeks and needed skilled nursing for another two weeks. It's a hard road. I am so sorry that this artist suffered the way he did in the hospital there. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. My brother watched the Grant series, I think I might have to do so. I really don't know much about the guy except all his photos and paintings make him look really serious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was not familiar with Robert.

    If you get a chance, read Grant's memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have two salmon hatcheries in Powell River, one is operated by the local Salmon Society and the other is on the Tla'amin First Nation lands. Sorry to hear about the loss of your blogging friend. It was a nice tribute. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear of the passing of your blog friend. I hope Frank's ear problem and your foot problems are better by now. Nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.