April 5, 2020

On Stone Church Road.

Markham, Virginia.

Last month I took these pictures of Markham United Methodist Church. 


When the church was built in 1819, the town was known as Farrowsville. The church was built as a Union Church, meaning it could serve all denominations. I found this information in the nomination form for Marshall Historic District to the National Register of Historic Places. Behind the church is the old Markham School, which dates to 1918. 


This sign indicates that the old stone building is now the Methodist Church, with the road to the right leading to Goose Creek Primitive Baptist Church. I assume that the Primitive Baptist congregation meets in  the old school, but I was unable to confirm this.


10 comments:

  1. ...the stone work is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that the windows and door on the back side were all closed up "permanently with stone." Perhaps they found the cold coming through that direction, or they had new heating or air conditioning and didn't need cross-ventilation any more. Or they didn't like the view! Who knows. I always think of how buildings change with the needs of the occupants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful stone work, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the look of the stone walls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there an old little train station there? I thought I rememberd one, or maybe in another town where I went apple picking one fall.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, there is an old train station in Markham. I think it is next to the old apple warehouse.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.