February 15, 2020

The Latest from the Trail Cam and CWD Update.

Last night I checked the motion-activated trail camera and didn't find as many images as usual. I don't understand those things! There were five images of interest, starting with one of ducks in flight. 


Next we have a flock of birds, which I think are starlings, judging by the ones on the grass. As you can see, the camera was facing the sun, which is not recommended but the only way to avoid that is to aim it north and then I wouldn't get any lake pictures.

Here's a blue jay in flight. I cropped all these pictures, by the way.

I believe this one is a hawk flying low. I've seen a couple of hawks out there.

The camera only got one deer picture this time. It didn't pose very nicely, did it?

Speaking of deer, I went to a program last weekend on Chronic Wasting Disease. This is a contagious illness that kills deer, and it has showed up a few locations in Virginia.

Overpopulation of deer contributes to the spread of the disease, so scientists are monitoring it as well as they can.


The final pictures are deer I saw in Shenandoah National Park.

So far the disease has not shown up in the park. They have been tracking the movement of deer using radio collars. It is illegal to feed deer in Virginia because that can encourage them to crowd in one area, leading to the spread of disease.

16 comments:

  1. ...Chronic Wasting Disease is a HUGE problem in New York's Adirondack Mountains. Many well meaning people were feeding the deer during the winter and made the problem worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to know that humans are making the problem worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just one word Linda....incredible!!!!!

    Thanks for sharing today at I'd Rather B Birdin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope they are able to control the spread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of Chronic Wasting Disease it does not sound good. I hope they get it under control. Interesting photos. Best wishes, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, the disease sounds awful for the deer. Love the birds captured on your wildlife cam and the deer. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, have a great new week ahead. PS, thanks for commenting and visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet birds doing their thing, and your camera cam caught them in action. Sorry the deer are having that disease, ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am always sad to read about the problems caused by deer, i love seeing them so much!! it does look like you picked up a hawk. when one visits my yard, my birds are gone for days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed these Linda. It reminds me I need to put my trail cam out there again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos of the wild life captured in your trail cam ~

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your shot of the jay is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello. That second photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the shot of the jay the best. It is a shame about the chronic wasting disease. I've heard about it in other areas as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just read a story about that disease ...in Elk, in Montana. Someone turned loose an elk from somewhere else and they were worried about it introducing chronic wasting. It was like a detective story trying to figure out where it came from.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.