July 12, 2019

Mid-July Willy Nilly


1. We've had hot weather interspersed by heavy rains. Yesterday started out as a pretty day and we went to Frank's physical therapy appointment. He had another appointment at 3:00, so we took a short ride and stopped for lunch. We were in the car when a hard rain stormed in. It stopped by the time he had to see the podiatrist, but later another storm hit. Then the sun came back, but some clouds remained. Here we see clouds creeping down the Massanutten Mountains.
Skywatch Friday.
2. Strasburg now has a modern community events space. You may want to click on the image to make sense of the reflections.

3. These flowers are from an arrangement. I decided to break it into multiple images and then recombine them into a collage.
Floral Friday and Friday Bliss.
4. My state is celebrating 50 years of using a successful slogan: "Virginia is for Lovers." At some point, "LOVE" signs went up in tourist attractions and became popular as photo subjects. Here is the new sign at the entrance to Shenandoah River State Park. The L, O, and V are made of water-sports equipment and the E is made up of signs that you see in the park.

Signs, Signs.
5. This picture of me in my car was taken by a trail camera. I had car trouble today and it was stressful but it could have been worse.

I first noticed something different with the car after a rainstorm on Monday. The pedal felt different when I accelerated, sometimes shuddering just a little. I thought the gas I had just bought may have had moisture in it. No warning lights came on, but by yesterday I noticed the car was not accelerating with its usual power.

This morning I was going to meet Lynn in Harrisonburg so I formulated a plan. I would get there early and take the car to the place where I had an oil change three weeks ago and have them check it. If more service was needed than they could handle, the Nissan dealer was nearby. Just before I got there, the car hesitated as I left a stop light. However, the mechanic did not find anything wrong with the engine when he checked it with his computerized meter, so he agreed that there was a problem with the fuel. He sold me a fuel additive and poured it in, charged me ten dollars and I went on my way. I drove around on a back road for a few miles before meeting Lynn for lunch, thinking the additive needed to mix with the gas. But instead of getting better, the performance got worse.

I had lunch with Lynn and decided to take a back road to the dealership so they could check the car. About half way there, I knew something was very wrong. When the car barely had enough power to climb a hill, I didn't think I'd make it to the dealership. I spotted a place called Shank Auto Repair and swung into their parking lot.

They were very helpful. The mechanic diagnosed the problem as a known transmission issue with the Altima. His shop was not equipped to handle it, but he believed I could make it to the dealer. He was right, and soon I was in the waiting room at Steven Nissan.

I had to leave the car there over the weekend. Lynn drove me home. This is not ideal, but it could have been worse!  Frank's car will get us through the next few days and then back to the dealer.

12 comments:

  1. A nice series of photos. Sorry about the car trouble but thank goodness it all worked out to get it fixed and that you had a way to get home again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I love the LOVE sign! Thanks Linda for sharing, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flower collage is very pretty - wishing a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I am glad you made it safely to the car dealer.
    The flower mosaic is pretty. I love the creative way they spelled out Love. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautidul photos and lovely flowers collage.
    Have a nice weekend
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. We experienced hot temperatures too....then, rain and hurricane in our state, Louisiana...

    Hope, your car be fixed, and getting better soon...

    Thank you for sharing beautiful views

    ReplyDelete
  7. Virginia is for Lovers must be one of the most successful and recognizable state slogans around.
    Hope your car gets all the love it needs and comes back to you safe and sound :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great love sign. Wishing you luck on fixing the car, it can be so aggravating and stressful

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is bad to have car trouble, but at least it did not leave you stranded on the road! Love the flowers, you did a great job with them!
    I remember 'Virginia is for Lovers' from a trip years ago. It is a great slogan.
    Hope you are having a good weekend and they get the car fixed quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That mountain view is welcome.

    Hopefully the car issues get sorted quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about your car trouble. The flower montage is pretty. Lovely view of the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea the slogan was so old. Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.