April 10, 2019

Bluebells and Blackbirds


Yesterday I stopped in Eastham Park to eat my lunch and see if the Virginia Bluebells were blooming. They are!

Before I even reached the river trail, I spotted a red-winged blackbird on a fence post. The males are easy to identify by the red and yellow stripe on their wings. I've never really identified a female because I didn't know how different they appear.

This park is in Front Royal along the South Fork of the Shenandoah.


I've seen quite a few red-winged males this year, especially in my yard. They like to visit my bird feeders.



11 comments:

  1. Virginia Bluebells look beautiful....love its color..
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...spring sure is more advanced in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Love the pretty bluebells. Great captures of the Blackbird. Wishing you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning something every day...that female red wings aren't marked the same! So I've only ever seen males I guess. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. not sure i have ever seen those before? i wonder?? i might have seen a bloom similar??! so pretty. love the color. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  6. The female black bird is all brown with a lot of stippling on her feathers.
    https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-winged_Blackbird/media-browser/63744241

    ReplyDelete
  7. The red-wings will be busy being all territorial around their nests for a few weeks. It starts in May with that kind of behaviour here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The red wings males come in first, looking for that perfect home

    ReplyDelete
  9. The male and female of this species are certainly very different.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.