December 10, 2018

Blog Post #6555


The Good: I have two farm scenes to link to the Barn Collective.



The Random: A man in our county was fined $500 for feeding bears. He had been warned in the past that this is illegal but continued to do so, drawing bears to his community to the dismay of neighbors, who reported "vehicle and home damage, bears looking in windows, bears staying around their homes, injuries to pets, and reports of bears with visible symptoms of mange."

The man admitted to conservation officers that he had been spending over $10,000 a year on food for bears in the area to keep them safe from poachers and help the "sick and injured" ones.

The Fun: There's a model train in the Gainesville Wegman's. It loops around on a track overhead in the back of the store.  Behind it is a mural showing Henry Hill on the Manassas Battlefield. (I did not realize that's what it depicted until I examined my photo and recognized the stone monument next to the old house.)
Monday Murals.

12 comments:

  1. Hello, pretty barn and farm scene. Love the bear too. I can understand the man is upset about the bears being poached, but feeding the bear is wrong. We love the Wegman's near us. Enjoy your day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I love the barns in your neck of the woods. This town is the home of Wegmans. Their stores are just TOO BIG! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry the bears had become dependent upon that man's kindness...they won't be happy now that he's stopped providing food! Speaking of food, I didn't know what Wegman's was until you showed the 2nd pic...I was thinking a restaurant. We've also got a local grocery-gone-mega, Ingle's Markets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wild animals shouldn't be fed, I'm surprised the bears didn't eat him.
    Interesting mural behind the model train track, thanks for contributing Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The model train is quite a sight to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, $10,000 a year is a lot of money to spend on feeding the bears. If I were his neighbor, I'd be quite upset too. I hope the fine is enough to make him stop, but I wonder if it will be. Fun train set and neat mural at the Wegman's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was a shot on the news showing a bear sneaking into a open window behind the drape and stealing a bag of dog food.We need to build habitat but not false ones even though he felt he was doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice mural! The Wegman's in Fairfax has a model train up above the shoppers too. I've never noticed if there's a mural -- have to check!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice mural and model train. I can't believe the bear feeding man is stupid enough to feed them. I wouldn't want to be his neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the man who spends over $10,000 a year on food for bears is actually generous man, but wrong.


    Nice model train. have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feeding bears does not seem like a good idea! But I would still love to see some!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    PS: comments now seem to be working properly - but only from my lap top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely seeing those barns.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.