August 15, 2017

Memorials

This is a monument that I've shared before. (I hope Tom does not mind me showing this in his Tuesday linkup!)  This depicts Robert E. Lee and it's at Antietam, where I think it is appropriate because he commanded an army there. Well, except that (a) the statue is facing the wrong direction, and (b) it depicts Lee on horseback on an occasion when he spent little time on his horse due to injured wrists. But overall, it doesn't bother me because Lee was in command during this important battle, although his army did not win it.

Another statue of Lee has been in the news lately, one in Charlottesville that the town is planning to remove. Now that one does bother me. Lee did not fight in Charlottesville. The only battle there was a small cavalry skirmish on Rio Hill, and Lee was not there. And he did not live there, or work there. So why is he there now?

The answer lies with the Lost Cause, a set of beliefs about the old south and the soldiers who fought for it. The people who survived the war in the southern states wanted to make sense of their losses and honor their loved ones. The wrote books and erected monuments espousing a myth-infused version of history. Their myths persist today, serving to confuse people instead of enlightening them. And the symbols of the very-racist Confederacy are uncomfortable for many people to see.

Some localities want to remove the Lost Cause memorials, but when Charlottesville decided to remove Lee's statue, a controversy erupted. Protests became a focus of white supremacists (mostly from other places), and resulted in violence and tragedy his weekend. No doubt I have oversimplified this story, but I want to get to the point. Our memorials and monuments are not always accurate, and it is wise to question them. In some places, it is fitting to simply put up a sign explaining what the real history is. But localities have the right to move these memorials if they see fit, especially if they feel the monument is causing harm to the community.

By the way, I am interested in Civil War history and there are currently 586 posts about it on this blog. My degree is in American History and Photography. To be clear, I have no doubt that the Civil War started because of slavery. But it was started by politicians, and many of the soldiers who fought were barely aware of the cause. They signed up due to loyalty to their own communities and the desire to be seen as brave and patriotic. Their descendants defend their ancestors, most of whom did not own slaves. People still argue about this war and let it divide them. I realize that anything I say about it will offend someone and I regret that. But we need to understand each other.

Disclosure: My ancestors fought for the United States of America. I have lived my entire life in Virginia and absorbed some of the Lost Cause version of history as a child. I fear this is still being taught and fostering misunderstandings.

13 comments:

  1. ...all wars are started by politicians! I'm afraid that we are becoming a nation of 'Lost Causes.' Thanks Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, It does seem like all wars are caused by politicians. I did not feel right about removing all the statues, what you said about their locations does make sense. Right now, I am hoping our current president does not start a nuclear war with North Korea, millions of people will die. I am more about peace in the world. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and this post. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hate to see these old statues disappear or destroyed like the one in durham...i know many have their place and many don't. my husband was telling me last night that california and utah even have confederate memorials...why??? now that does not make any sense at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's curious. I am aware of one battle out west, over a river crossing. I'll have to look it up.

      Delete
    2. There was one in the southwest that I can think of, involving regiment level strength. A Union colonel by the name of Chivington (who later in the war did something abominable where Indians were concerned) was there.

      Delete
  4. Art and heritage is what these are.i never knew about Lee having bad wrists

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am saddened, angry, and overwhelmed by the state of things in our nation. Each day seems to bring another horror.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting post. It is important to know the history of these statues and monuments. I think placed in the context of their history, it certainly makes sense to remove some of them and place them more properly in museums, where the civil war history and stories can be shared in proper context. Too bad it seems a civil conversation about such things seems so impossible in the current political climate and with our current (lack of?) leadership. By the way, I do love the artistic composition of your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Linda for sharing this, as Lost Causes is a problem not just for your nation' s history & present problems, but also for many conflicts around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very interesting post Linda, I would like to read your other posts on Civil War history as both my husband and myself have an interest and have gone to Manassas Civil War Battlefield many times, as it is only a short car ride away. I only recently found that I had family who came to America as far back as the War of Independence and also fought on both sides of the Civil War. What went on in Charlottesville saddens me greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very interesting post and not having grown up in or visited much of the south I always like to hear all points of view. Sometimes I think memorials are good to remind us not to repeat the mistakes of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you. It makes sense for these statues to be in battlefields, but the statue legacy goes back to that Lost Cause notion, and really picked up with the rise of the Klan. It makes you wonder what might have been had Reconstruction proceeded as Lincoln had envisioned it, not as it became.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I very much enjoyed your comments on the memorials, and I only wish that more people (especially politicians) could be as reasonable.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.