April 2, 2016

My Mom's Green Vase

 This earthenware vase was treasured by my mother. I believe that my father brought it back from his travels during World War II. He served in the US Navy and this may have come from a Mediterranean or West African port. I don't know where though.

The design is carved through the glazed layer. On one side is a rooster and on the other is an elephant. Let me know if you recognize this style of pottery.

I photographed this on a mirrored surface to maximize the lighting.

Sharing with Weekend Reflections


6 comments:

  1. How about linking this to Tuesday's Treasures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A unique style, but never saw anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So special ... but sorry I cannot help in identifying this style.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful vase. The elephant's surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful vase.
    Sometimes I wish that I would have brought back interesting things from exotic places when I was in the navy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting design. It's a special treasure to pass down to the next generation.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.