March 11, 2016

Five Randoms for Friday, March 11


For Willy Nilly Friday and More

1. Tomorrow is Genealogy Day so I scanned in two really old photos from a falling-apart old album that belonged to my grandparents. Here we see my mother's mother, perhaps in the 1930's.  The next picture shows my grandfather in a swimming outfit.

My grandparents separated during World War II, first as a necessity because my grandfather served in the Navy, and afterwards for their personal reasons. They never divorced but many years later my grandfather remarried after her death.

2. There have been a number of residents in our area reporting their credit card numbers have been stolen, even though they still have the cards. It is likely that they are victims of "skimming" at a payment machine, although it is also possible that someone read their number remotely with an electronic device. I just moved my credit cards to an RFID-shielded wallet in hopes that this will add some protection.

3. Here's a snapshot I took in Strasburg at dusk. I was waiting in the car while Frank was in a store.


4.  Mersad challenges us to post a photo from "Inside My Favorite Place" for the My Town Shootout linkup. My favorite places are outdoors, so I'm bending the rules. Here I am in Shenandoah National Park, definitely one of my favorite places. Frank took this picture.

5. Photo Friday's theme this week is Wilderness. I'm using Shenandoah National Park for that one too.  Skyline Drive runs the length of the park, but once you walk a few hundred yards from the road, you find yourself in wilderness.
View from an Overlook in October
On the Appalachian Trail
Skyline Drive in the Clouds

5 comments:

  1. that's a cute picture of you and the tree! love the photos of your grandparents...i keep meaning to pick back up on my genealogy! thank you for linking linda! i hope you are enjoying your saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shenandoah's a very good choice for a favourite place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the old photos, Skyline Drive is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The old photos of your grandparent are priceless. Nice photo of you in your favorite place Shenandoah National Park.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great old and new photos! I love your wilderness shot.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.