February 2, 2015

Blog Post #4800

Blogging since 2005 and I'm still here.

ranch style home in winter
My Childhood Home
Both the City Daily Photo Theme Day and a local group's photo challenge are dealing with a topic of Hometown. This got me thinking of my original hometown, Alexandria, Virginia. I was raised near there and lived there for much of my adult life.  It's a great town, filled with cultural opportunities and an appreciation of history.  Sometimes I miss it, but not enough to brave the traffic to visit it very often.


George Washington Birthday Parade, 1962

I raised my daughters in Alexandria, first in the Rosemont neighborhood and then in Del Ray. When they were teens (and after I was divorced from their father) we moved to Taft Avenue in the western part of town. By that time I was taking classes at NVCC and volunteering with Alexandria Archaeology, as well as working full-time.

Eventually I decided to move out into the country to escape the air pollution that plagued the DC Metropolitan Area in the summertime. In the late 1990's there were all too many days when weather forecasters warned people to avoid exercising outdoors because of the air pollution. I think this improved after the coal-burning power plant closed down.


Even though I enjoy the beautiful area where I live now, there are times when I miss downtown Alexandria. It's a vibrant town, quite walkable, with a scenic riverfront area and interesting shops. No doubt many of my readers have been there. It's between Washington DC and Mount Vernon, and it's popular with tourists. 

10 comments:

  1. I've only been to Alexandria once, and that was a very quick visit. I would really like to get back s I can explore the town some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and I love the old photos. Your daughter are cute. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice memories for you and your girls, i'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet pictures of your daughters! There's no place like home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on so many blog posts! These old photos are great. It's fun to revisit memories from places we have lived.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to see that area. Your shots bring across the character of the place quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful old photographs!
    I have been to Alexandria many times, it is a truly lovely town and the Potomac river is quite majestic there.
    Happy Blog anniversary,
    Merisi

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a great little place! Congrats on your blogging milestones! That's a lot of blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Groundhog Day. Hope these memories keeping reappearing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss the area I grew up in also. But yet, I would probably never move back.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.