December 11, 2012

Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

We are in the season here where the days are short and all too often gray. Today we had a little sunshine, a welcome respite after three wet and sunless days.

Sometimes I feel depressed in the winter, especially when there's a series of gray days. I believe this is a form of seasonal affective disorder (S.A.D.). When we get a mild sunny day, I try to spend some time outside. It only takes about 20 minutes of sunshine to make my world seem better.

Another cause of depression for me seems to be an allergy to mold and yeast. This can hit suddenly and can seem mysterious because molds and yeasts can be hidden and can even grow on foods without being noticeable. I mention this because it's not well known as a cause of depression. I'm able to manage depression by avoiding fungus and seeking out sunshine. I also take SAM-e as directed by a doctor. It even helps with aches and pains!


WebMD on SAM-e 

6 comments:

  1. Horrible thing, depression. Wish you well in keeping it at bay x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely harder this time of year, with the days so short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always feel a little lazy when the weather is grey...sunshine does wonders for the soul...today it is nice and sunny here, which is good because i've got a lot of cleaning up to do around here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good thing that you are aware of this and take action to ward it off. I try to get outside a little bit each day, always makes me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to yeast and mold. I have Candida and have to stay away from anything moldy or that has yeast or sugar in it. Makes eating very boring.

    Love that picture though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't aware of that, about yeast and mold. So glad that you mentioned it. I need sunshine, too - it does wonders for the soul.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.