February 9, 2012

SelectQuote Let Me Down

Nobody likes a whiner so I'll keep this brief. In order to choose a Medicare supplement plan that had a good rate, I used an online broker, SelectQuote Senior. They quoted me a rate but it wound up to be a false one! You can skip the rest if you aren't likely to use an online broker. If you might use one, read on.

The rate ($80.85 a month) was better than ones I had received through the mail. It was from Mutual of Omaha and I tried to pay for it online as advised. Oops, error code: "We're sorry. This service is temporarily unavailable."

I emailed Tim at SelectQuote. He answered that "We have had issues with Opera Browser for the online applications." So the next day I tried Safari. (I have a Mac.) That didn't work either. I contacted Tim again. He faxed me forms the next day. There were some glitches with the fax and another day passed before I had every page. Meanwhile I went back to the Mutual of Omaha website and noticed the monthly rate was higher than I had been told. However, when I questioned Tim by email, he reconfirmed the original monthly rate, writing "I am unaware of where the figure $97.02 came from." I signed the form and sent it back.

It seemed we were back on track. But when I received my policy in the mail, it came with a bill for $16.17. I contacted Tim again.

He did some research and eventually called. It seems that the original quote had been for a limited time, but he had not been aware of the deadline. It came and went while I was trying to find a browser that worked with the Mutual of Omaha website! By the time I received a faxed version to sign, the rate had gone up. In fact, it had already changed when Tim reconfirmed the original rate but he didn't know it.

So I'm stuck with a rate that's $97.02 instead of $80.85. That's still a decent rate for Plan F, which has no deductible. But it's not what I signed up for, and SelectQuote was helpless as far as getting me a reduction. Bottom line, I should have signed up directly with the insurance company right away instead of wasting time with SelectQuote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.