February 24, 2011

Stream Valley Park

Although the neighborhood I left in 1998 has changed dramatically, I found that there is still a public path leading from Taft Avenue to the stream valley park. It's now marked by two stone posts on either side - much nicer than the old wire fence that was there next to my little house.

The sign introduces the "Strawberry Run Stream Restoration" program of the City of Alexandria. The creek makes its way to Cameron Run.

It appears that a channel has been dug for the creek and new trees planted. I felt nostalgic seeing the little park and the bridge which I crossed with Guppy so many times.

Marie posed on the bridge for me.

4 comments:

  1. I see that Strawberry Run is subject to 'stream resotartion'. For such a fancy sign, you'd think they would've proofed it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.
    I love seeing these photos. Thanks for posting them. I share your fascination with how places we knew so well have changed so utterly -- and yet, the earth beneath, and the stream flowing through it, seems timeless and unchanged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sign also says it "imporves habitat."

    Perhaps it was posted by the developer. Their "For Sale" sign contains the wrong URL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and the ULR on the stream "resortartion" sign is also incorrect. I don't think sign printers try the web addresses to see if they work.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.