February 22, 2011

Owl Standing by the Road

Mt. Hermon Road, Shenandoah County, VA


We saw this owl sitting beside the road on Saturday afternoon. He did not leave when we stopped the car; I thought he looked dazed.

Perhaps the high winds that day had tired him out, or knocked down his favorite tree. Or perhaps he had fled the brush fire that had been put out near Conicville.


Tell me what kind he is if you know. He appeared to be over a foot tall and had a white breast.


We didn't want to block traffic so we drove away after I took the second picture. I hope he was okay.

P.S. A commenter points out he is likely a hawk.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like it could be a red tailed hawk to me. Beautiful photos!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the info! I didn't think it was a hawk because it looked fat, but perhaps it was puffed up against the wind.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.