January 29, 2011

Red, White, Blue...

Cardinal on a Snowy Day


Cardinals are beautiful birds! And the male with his bright red feathers is so colorful - a wonderful contrast to a white snowy background.

As you can see, the first photo is whiter and brighter than the second. I adjusted the color in Photoshop in both pictures, but the blue cast remained. To some extent, it looks "natural" because on the day I took these, the snow was still falling so the sunshine was blocked. However, we prefer bright snow, and so when I adjusted the above image, I made a duplicate layer, eased the color sliders a little bit away from from cyan and blue, and then used "Screen" as the merge method. However, before flattening the layers I lessened the lightening of "Screen" on the bird using the eraser at partial transparency.

And yes, I tried the "Snow and Sand" setting on my camera but it didn't seem very effective. I could have changed the exposure manually but Photoshop lets me be more selective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.