August 17, 2010

Another Hotel with a Water View

A waterfront hotel costs more than a hotel out by the highway. But it may not give you as much in amenities.

After a single night at the Island Resort in Chincoteague, we decided to travel north a short distance for the last night of our vacation. After all, we would be closer to home there and besides, Frank wanted to visit Ocean City and Rehoboth. I couldn't argue with making the drive home shorter, plus I was disappointed that the Island Resort did not provide a coffee maker or a microwave, so I couldn't fix myself much of a breakfast. (I prefer to fix myself a little something to eat in the morning because I can't always find breakfast that's gluten-free and dairy-free. Also, I usually get up an hour earlier than my spouse and so I get hungry earlier.)

After a brief stop in Ocean City we drove up to Rehoboth. Even though it was a Thursday afternoon, many of the hotels were already full. We wound up at the Hotel Henlopen which fronts the Atlantic Ocean. We paid extra for the location and hoped that the accommodations would be extra-nice.

They weren't. The hotel lobby was attractive but no one helped us with our luggage, and Frank found the staff lacking in warmth. My big disappointment was that there was no free internet. I had to pay extra and use a local wireless service.

Our room did have a coffee maker and a microwave, set in an alcove that used to be a closet. The furnishings were ordinary and the bed lumpy. But we had a door to an open area with a view of the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.