June 27, 2010

Changing with the Times

For years I maintained a website for Spiritual Singles of the DC area. I started working for them as an independent contractor back in 1998. At the time I was still single and attended some of their events. My work for them took a few hours a week back then and included producing a monthly calendar of events which was mailed out. (Yes, I had another job to pay my bills.) I created a basic website for them and eventually the organization decided to save postage and distribute the calendar via email and the web, so every month I revised the calendar page online.

Recently the organization needed to save even more money and one way was to eliminate my monthly re-posting of the calendar in HTML and instead find a way for the organization's leader to post the calendar online himself. A member suggested the Meet-up website as a vehicle for this and it seems to be working out well.

I'm glad to see that Spiritual Singles has found ways to stay afloat in these financially-challenging times. Yes, I'm "out of a job" but it was a very minor job for I had gotten pretty adept at posting their page and could do it in just an hour a month.

In just two weeks, a hundred people signed up for their new site: Spiritual Singles of the DC Area. Congratulations to Jeff and the other volunteers on utilizing the web to stretch their resources. They are good people and I wish them well.

1 comment:

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.