May 12, 2009

A Note about Using My Pictures

Every now and then I get an email from someone who wants to use one of my photos. If they are with a magazine or other commercial enterprise, I propose a reasonable fee or ask what their usual rates are. And that's usually the end of it! Even businesses want to avoid paying for something.

I had three inquiries about the photo below. One was for a motel ad, one was for a local magazine, and another was from an artist who wanted to make a drawing of it as a gift for a friend. That last one I gave permission to use it for free.

Generally, I do not charge for one-time personal use of an image, although I want to hear about it ahead of time. This does not include publishing on the internet, although I might grant permission in some cases.
A View of New Market Battlefield

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.