January 22, 2009

Rotator Cuff Injury

I went back to Mountain View Orthopedics to discuss what the ultrasound of my right shoulder showed. I knew it had revealed a tear, so Frank went with me to find out what the doctor recommends. It was not what I wanted to hear.

I have a full tear in a tendon. The doctor recommends surgery. She said that a partial tear can often heal without surgery, but mine is a complete tear. That's why it hasn't healed in the five months since I injured it, and why physical therapy has not restored my range of motion.

I have not scheduled surgery yet. She advised that I finish the course of antibiotics that the gastroenterologist prescribed before having surgery, which will require it's own set of medications.

Right now the shoulder doesn't hurt much during the day, but sometimes the pain wakes me at night, and it's bad early in the morning. I cannot raise my right arm more than halfway, cannot open heavy doors with it, or reach high shelves...

I don't like the idea of surgery, of course. I could have an allergic reaction to anesthesia, the recovery period is long and uncomfortable, and there's no guarantee that my range of motion will be restored afterward. Still, Dr. Stevens did not see any other good option.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.