March 26, 2008

How I got elected...

It sounded like a small favor. Someone asked me to serve on the CSDA board, and they usually have just one board meeting a year. I wouldn't have to drive to Maryland to attend because they could hook me up on a conference call.

I haven't been to any of their lectures in years but I maintain a basic website for CSDA. So okay, I said I would serve on the board.

During the meeting last week, the slate of officers was announced. Unfortunately, the nominee for vice president decided to decline for privacy reasons. (As a not-for-profit organization, the officers are a matter of public record, and will be listed in publications and on the internet.) Anyway, I was asked to serve as vice president and was pretty much assured that I would not have to serve as president, at least not for more than a very short time.

My previous experience with another nonprofit board was not much different. People don't compete to be officers; more often, they try to avoid it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.