January 1, 2008

Resolutions

lindaMy new year's resolutions include walking more and cutting back on sugar. Now I don't eat much sucrose; it makes my blood sugar spike up and down, plus more than a little bit gives me a weird headache. For years I consumed no cane sugar whatsoever*; then I started making exceptions and it crept back into my diet. First I allowed a little bit in main dishes; particularly the only frozen dinner I'm not allergic to (basil chicken with rice); then in the frozen rice dessert that I started eating when I read that Rice Dream had gluten (in barley malt - this may have changed), and then in a gluten-free dairy-free cookie.

Of course, cutting out sugar further shortens the list of foods I can eat. And it's already a short list, mostly meat, vegetables and rice. Which is not bad as long as I'm home and have time to cook.

~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*Except when sugar was hidden in restaurant food. If they throw a little in the green beans, for instance, I have no way of knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.