August 16, 2007

News from Alexandria

Clovis point found in Alexandria, Virginia

I still get emails and a newsletter from Alexandria Archaeology, where I volunteered for many years before leaving that fair city. A stone point from 13,000 years ago was found in a dig near the Wilson Bridge, along with quartzite chips that indicate tool-making. This indicates that native people lived in that area earlier than previous evidence suggested.

I miss Alexandria sometimes. It's a great city, although I found the air pollution to be unhealthy in the summertime.

When reading about the Clovis point, I came across an article that said Cash Grocer is closing. Too bad, it's a great little store, but I'm not surprised. Whole Foods opened nearby, and MOM (My Organic Market) has a nice store in Arlandria now. And of course, large supermarket chains now carry the most popular "natural" foods. When I worked in Alexandria, I used to really depend on Cash Grocer for wheat-free and dairy-free foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.