April 21, 2007

The high-priced spread

Once in a great while I buy some goat butter. It does not give me tummy pain for several days the way cow butter does, and I like buttered vegetables now and then.

This tiny pack of goat butter cost $3.99 - that's $15 a pound! That's one reason I don't buy it often. The other is that I can't buy it around here. I have to drive 2 hours to Whole Foods to find it, so naturally I only buy it when I happen to be in Northern Virginia for some other reason.

Last weekend we drove up to Woodbridge to put a house up for rent and I insisted that we make a side-trip to the new Whole Foods at Fair Lakes. It's a nice store, very large, with a huge section devoted to salad bars and ready-to-eat foods. If you've never been in a Whole Foods at lunch time, you haven't seen the frenzy of hungry people buying containers of tasty foods to eat for lunch. Obviously not everyone wants a burger and fries!

Anyway, I did not find the goat butter right away but a couple of friendly store employees helped me locate some - it had just come in and wasn't even on display. I purchased two of the precious little packets. I use just a tiny bit at a time so it will last me a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.