March 4, 2007

Probation for Ben

cocker spanielOur cocker spaniel Benny was so ferocious on Friday morning that Frank said we had to get rid of him. I had reached to remove the leash from Ben's collar and suddenly he started barking in a threatening way, tossing his head around like he wanted to bite someone. However he did go into his crate and I closed the door. We were afraid to reach in after the leash.

I called the vet in hopes of getting something to calm Benny down or at least medicine for his diarrhea which had come back after his previous medicines were used up. The vet did not feel that puppy prozac would help but said the diarrhea medicine would at least make him more comfortable so that he might be less irritable. Frank went to pick it up and I stayed to keep an eye on the dog and look for resources.

I fed Ben a little liquid Benadryl through the crate door to make him drowsy and went to the internet. The pet adoption sites were not encouraging -- dogs with aggressive behavior are not adoptable. Meanwhile Frank was finding the same thing out from a woman from a dog rescue organization who was at the vet's office. And if we took Ben to the pound he would wind up being euthanized, which would be heartbreaking.

I called two local dog trainers but they were not available so I left messages. By mid-afternoon, I felt braver and Ben seemed calm so I approached the cage as though nothing was wrong. I opened the door and he came out and we went outside for a walk. Afterwards he let me remove the leash and went back in the crate for a nap. Since then he has been okay.

I really don't know what set him off that morning. I suspect that something hurt him; he's reacted ferociously before when hurt, like the time he got entangled in briars and nipped me when I tried to unwrap them from around his leg.

The trainers did call back eventually. Maybe it was the way I explained it but neither thought that Ben was hopelessly aggressive. One said that he was trying to dominate and the other said he sounded fearful (which he is). The latter said that she can teach us exercises to minimize his fearful behavior. I've got an appointment to take Ben to her training facility on Thursday.

I hope we can rehabilitate him. He is good most of the time although he is not the greatest house pet. He must be kept leashed or watched closely when he is out of his crate because he knocks things over and eats inedible objects, such as paper and cloth.

I know that the Dog Whisperer would prescribe exercise and discipline. We've been working on discipline, and I admit to slacking off on the exercise because the ice and snow outside made long walks too risky on these steep hills. Hopefully the ice will stay away now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.