July 24, 2006

Deer There and Everywhere

We live on a little cul-de-sac on top of a wooded ridge in Bryce Resort. Across from our little road is a forest of several hundred acres which slopes down to a lake.

On our court there are three other homes. None of them are occupied much of the time. One is a weekend rental, one is a chalet like ours which belongs to Mrs. Bakke, and the other is Don's house, which is up for sale.

Mrs. Bakke spent a few days up here last week and of course she saw some of the deer which have become so prevalent in our neighborhood. She said that they sometimes "nested" under Don's deck! So I've been looking at his deck when I walk the dogs past there but I haven't seen any deer under it, although I have seen them in his yard many times.

Yesterday I took this picture of his back yard and deck, but no deer were present. Funny thing though... when I walked little Ben back up our driveway, I saw something brown under Mrs. Bakke's deck! Had she left something there... or could it be a deer? It looked like the back of a small cow lying down.

I took a few steps closer to get a closer look and there was a rustling and crashing of leaves as the deer jumped up and ran off into the woods.



deer
Altered Image of another Deer

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.