March 13, 2006

Sleeping frog

frog floating
We saw a couple of frogs floating in a spring-fed pond today. I believe they are hibernating. Some frogs spend the winter in water and absorb oxygen through the skin.
This fellow did not move when I took his picture so I assume he was hibernating or at least still drowsy. Frogs are normally too shy to pose for more than a moment.
When I downloaded the image, the skincolor had this purple cast, but it was not so bright in the shady pool. Actually, it was raining lightly at the time and I used flash for this frame, which probably brought out this color.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.