January 2, 2013

A View from Double Church Road

Near Stephens City, VA

Sometimes I like to try a different road just to see different views and find out where the road goes exactly.
I'd checked out Double Church Road on the map a couple of months ago and I knew it would take us from Martins Supermarket to a road that went to Front Royal, so when we left Martins the other day I went straight on Double Church Road instead of turning left on Fairfax Pike to go home.

The sun was low in the sky and soon I was looking for a spot to pull off and take a picture of a snow scene at sunset. And there it was! A church is often a good place to stop along the road. No one seems to mind and many churches here are on hills and offer pleasant views.
I think this is one of the churches that the road is named for. A second church is nearby.

The view to the west offers a typical Shenandoah valley scene, just right for my sunset picture.

5 comments:

FP said...

Beautiful photography, especially in the second

My Journey With Candida said...

Love the church but it sure does look cold out there.

Tanya said...

beautiful! i always seem to pull into church parking lots too when i'm out and about to get some pictures!

Janet said...

Really stunning with the snow at sunset. That was a great detour.

Maria Emilia Moreira said...

Belas fotos! O frio aperta por esse lado. Um abraço de Portugal.
Maria Emília