January 7, 2010

Photographing Icy Branches

Last night I remembered some wintry pictures that I took last January. I did not post them at the time because they were inside a film camera and not developed until Spring. Then I had the roll scanned and put on CD at Walmart but the images were out of season so I stuck the CD in a drawer.

Now it's winter again and icy cold, so the pictures seem appropriate to share. I got the CD out last night and brightened the images a bit (after all, these were cheap scans) before I went to bed. Tonight I got ready to post them and I checked to see what day I took them. It was exactly a year ago: January 7, 2009.



I took these pictures in Winchester, Virginia. Normally I would not have made the one-hour drive there on an icy day, but I had a medical test scheduled that I did not want to postpone. (See my post for that day if you're curious.)

The test took all morning and I was anxious to get some lunch, but from the parking lot I could see that the trees were covered with glistening ice. There are a couple of landscaped duck ponds at the entrance to the hospital complex, and I felt that they were worth photographing even though a misty cold rain was still drizzling down.

Normally I carry a camera when I drive through the Shenandoah Valley because I often see a pretty landscape. But on this particular day I had left the house before daylight with cold rain falling, and I was worried about icy roads and staying alert, rather than photo ops. However, I did have a disposable camera in a compartment of my snack bag, stashed there for times like this.

I only used about half the roll of film before retreating to the warmth of my car, where I stuck the camera back in its compartment and forgot about it, concerned with finding lunch and making it back to Woodstock for a physical therapy appointment. Eventually I finished off the film in May and got it processed.  I also purchased another cheap disposable camera and put it in the snack bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.