June 19, 2013

I Visit the Newcomer House


In a post earlier this month I mentioned the Newcomer House on Antietam Battlefield. When I saw it mentioned in a tourism brochure, I was curious because I have ancestors named Newcomer from that part of Maryland. A little checking revealed that the house was once owned by Joshua Newcomer, a cousin of my ancestor Barbara Newcomer. So naturally I drove up to Washington County and visited the house.

It house the "Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area Exhibit and Visitor Center" and is open to the public. The house has been repaired and cleaned up but the interior shows few of the original furnishings, just the fireplaces and a staircase. Still, I felt excited to be able to walk inside the house.



8 comments:

  1. Learning history through family connections is lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An exciting discovery Linda, you look happy to be there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool to have that family connection to that beautiful old house! So glad you got to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to walk the walk that my ancestors did. That had to be thrilling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you in your Hat.... Very cute. So neat to walk where those before you have walked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat to be there in that bit of history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hat was actually an item the park had on display with a sign to try it on! They had some other items to handle too, things a soldier might wear or carry.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.