|Amanda Bower, Florence Vinitia Bower Townsend, Lizzie|
- Sarah F Bower born about 1843 in Ohio
- Mary E. Bower born abt 1848 in Ohio
- Amanda M Bower born 6-22-1852 in Ohio
- Florence Vinitia “Flora” Bower bn 1855 in New England, Ohio
- And then in the 1870 Census…one more girl was added ( Addie C. Bower born abt 1861 in Ohio)
as well as an apparent step-mother (Harriet Reynolds)
Emma married Captain Russell Carpenter in 1865 and they lived in Tennessee and then West Virginia for a few years. In 1869, Russell was critically injured in an accident at Polk Street Bridge, Chicago and was buried in Rosehill Cemetery. My great-grandmother Emma, now a widow with a small child (Maud Russella), found a job at a "skirt manufactory" and after that the Aetna Sewing Machine Company. She tried selling books but went back into the sewing machine business. Eventually she married my great-grandfather in 1874.