December 20, 2009

Our Yard in the Snow

That's a suet feeder hanging in the center of the picture. A few nights ago some critter pulled it down and stole the suet. Someone also pulled down another small bird feeder that night. Since the bears are supposed to be hibernating, I think the culprit may have been a raccoon or even a deer. I would not suspect the deer except that one of them was probably what chewed most of the leaves off our late-blooming rose bush that night. So maybe there was a deer feeding frenzy going on in preparation for the coming snow storm.

Anyway, late Friday afternoon I fastened the suet feeder back up and filled the large bird feeder, which I also protected by screwing on a large "squirrel baffle" which I had just bought after a squirrel defeated the "squirrel-proof" feeder. My fingers got very cold when I did this but I persisted in getting the feeders ready because significant snowfall was predicted and the birds would be looking for food after snow covered the ground.

Related post: Deer oh Dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.