October 14, 2009

Germany Valley Overlook

Having spent a little time looking at the map before we went to West Virginia, I knew that we would be near Germany Valley. I remembered from childhood that there was a beautiful view of the valley that's worth photographing.

We almost missed the viewpoint. I glimpsed it as Frank drove past and I saw a commercial sign for "Germany Valley Overlook Cabins." I convinced Frank to turn around so that I could drink in the view.

Here's what the historical marker says:
Germany Valley is the site of Hinkle's Fort built in 1761–1762. It was the only defense of the South Branch after Fort Upper Tract and Fort Seybert were destroyed by Shawnee Indians under Killbuck, April 27–28, 1758.

Click the arrow to view the brief video.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking me home for a few seconds. I am originally from about a half mile from this location, just down the mountain from the overlook.

    I am also a direct descendant of the Hinkle's of Hinkle's Fort, and most of my family comes from Germany Valley.

    I moved away from there about 15 years ago, but no place is ever like home, and home to me will forever be Germany Valley.

    Thanks again for taking me home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found my post. Germany Valley is so pretty and it's nestled among some dramatic mountains. I don't think there is more gorgeous scenery anywhere.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.