January 9, 2009

Results of the H2 Breath Test

I got an envelope in the mail today from the gastroenterologist. It contained a note (saying that I have small intestine bacterial overgrowth) and a prescription for oral neomycin. Darn it, we went through this last time, doc! I am allergic to neomycin. It says so on the original form that I filled out. And I told the doctor this last time after he sent me the exact same thing. (He then wrote me a prescription for Flagyl, which seemed to work for a while.)

I got angry and tried to call the doctor's office, but Winchester Gastroenterology has a phone system that does not let you talk to anyone. You have to leave a message and they call you another day. That means I won't get a replacement prescription until next week. This is terrible customer service. I left a terse message. They will know I'm upset. Doctors should check their notes and not prescribe things that the patient is allergic to. And they shouldn't make the same mistake twice!

Well, at least I have a prescription already that controls intestinal cramping, which was very painful. And I can take garlic capsules over the weekend, which should keep the bacteria down until I get an antibiotic. It will be the third round of antibiotics for this condition over a period of about 18 months. Maybe the garlic will be better than antibiotics anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.