February 24, 2018

Birds and Surprises

One day I took Flash out on the deck so he could keep me company while I filled the bird feeders. I was surprised to see this cat watching me on the lower level of the deck. I almost walked right past him without seeing him because he was very still. But as soon as I took his picture, he ran away. (Yes, I often carry my camera when I feed the birds. Sometimes they hang around nearby.)

I think this is a feral cat. There are a bunch of them around because a couple of neighbors feed them. Flash was quite fascinated by the cat and watched for a while after he disappeared.
Sharing with Black and White Weekend and Caturday.


Usually I take more than one picture of each subject, just in case one is blurred or another one looks better in some way. This bird flew away as I clicked the shutter for another shot.

Next we have a little goldfinch. I was glad to catch him posing on a branch. Usually I just photograph them on a feeder. They eat a lot of seed!

The downy woodpeckers like suet rather than seed.

A family of geese visit my yard every day. The neighborhood lake is home to several kinds of geese and ducks.

This squirrel was scarfing down some sunflower seed the other day. When I looked outside this morning, this feeder lay broken on the ground, and a suet cake was also on the grass. Did the squirrel do that, or was it something bigger? Well, I wouldn't put it past the squirrel, but he doesn't like my suet because it is seasoned with red pepper. So it's possible that the guilty party was something else, like a bear! It has happened a couple of times before, and the weather has been mild enough that the bears may be out of their winter dens.


17 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos of the animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos! The cat has a very serious face :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovin' it all! That feral cat?....naturally black & white for the theme!!

    Thanks for linking in with us bird enthusiasts this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, cute closeup of the cat. I love the sweet goldfinch, woodpecker and the geese. The squirrels are cute but, I do not like them hanging on my feeders. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. I also appreciate your nice comment and visit. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flash, those wild cats can be dog haters. Good finds today

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cat hasn't miss a thing and it has such a cute face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet goldfinch photo. The black and white cat photo was almost as sweet. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely series for this Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice shots. I enjoyed seeing the goldfinch on the tree. Mine are often on the feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of lovely shots here ... I like the trio of geese! Could deer have messed with your feeder? I have had that happen before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it could have been a deer. Once in a while they come through the yard.

      Delete
  11. Nice variety of critter pictures. You have a lot of wildlife activity in your yard to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.