February 17, 2018

Birds and Animals, Mid-February


Birds in trees are normal, but getting pictures of them there can be tricky. When I get one without a branch covering his face, I feel pleased. I'm glad this blue jay posed for a few seconds.

The mockingbird was perched on a neighbor's mailbox. I took his picture from the car.

The next picture tells a little story. A woman is picking up trash at the school bus stop. Who knocked over that trash can? Oh, there he is, peeking out from behind her car!

She called animal control. An officer showed up promptly and located the dog's owner at a nearby farm. This is not the first time his dogs have caused problems.

Once in a while his other animals wander into our neighborhood. Here are a couple of sheep I saw a few days ago. The farmer really needs to fix his fences!

Did you know sheep and deer belong to the same family, Artiodactyla? That means even-toed ungulates. (I didn't know that word; I just looked it up.)

I saw this herd of deer on Dickey Ridge in Shenandoah National Park. They blend in well, don't they? You can drive right past them without seeing them.


This afternoon we had a little snow. The grey geese don't seem to mind.


16 comments:

  1. ...I love your colorful jay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' this! Too bad some pet owners don't keep their dogs under control tho! That blue jay photo is post card material...perfect.

    We birders are thankful for your participation at I'd Rather B Birdin'...and will expect mail from a certain mocking bird soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, love the jay, mocker and the geese. I do not like seeing the dogs run loose, I hope the owner will fix his fence. The sheep and deer are cute! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Thanks also for your visit and comment. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes see one or two deer, but to see a herd of them - that's exciting!
    Great photo of the Blue Jay! Love the mailbox with the mockingbird on it
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun selection, sheep are escapers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Blue Jay. The herd of deer is impressive. I saw a herd out in a pasture last evening. They are fine creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheep on the loose? That would be a sight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shots

    That goat looked like you might have something on you that was edible

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s so nice of that lady to clean up the trash. I didn’t realize that deer and sheep belong in the same family! I love taking photos of birds too. They are such beautiful animals. Have a nice day Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that Mockingbird on the mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos! I have many photos of branches blocking the faces of birds. Interesting about the deer and sheep being in the same family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have several neighbors that let their dogs run around .... I don't appreciate the gifts that get left behind!!! How wonderful that she took the time to pick up the trash ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all your critters here Linda, especially the pretty wee bluejay ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed this fun mix of animals. The dog peeking out has a guilty face. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots of cool critters! I think the sheep are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.