October 19, 2017

Return to Orkney Springs


On Sunday we drove up to Bryce Resort and also visited nearby Orkney Springs. It's a gem of a town and when we lived in Bryce, we visited it so often that I gave it a tag which now has over 75 posts.

Most of the buildings there are painted white for some reason. There's a small residential neighborhood, a post office, an old store, and a concert pavilion, but much of the town is a well-preserved old resort that is now owned by the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia. They manage it as a retreat center and youth camp known as Shrine Mont.







This is in western Shenandoah County, Virginia. We've found Shrine Mont to be very welcoming to visitors. If you go there, don't miss the outdoor cathedral. It's hard to spot in the forest, but it's a special place, built in the 1920's of local stone. There's also a small chapel for rainy day services.

\


The outdoor fireplace is a new addition to the grounds. I took many other photos so to keep this post to a reasonable length, I've made some into a collage. 


Painted Rocks are in vogue.
Map from my Dashboard Display.  Yellow arrow shows where we parked. 

Sharing with Fences, Signs, and My Town Shoot Out.

9 comments:

  1. I like the 2nd story balcony on the one home. the shrine made me think of a place called the Grotto in Iowa.It is huge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, what a pretty town. I love all the home. The outdoor fireplace looks awesome. The painted rocks are showing up everywhere now. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a delightful resort/retreat center. I really like the outdoor cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the architecture, especially that outdoor cathedral!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks a very nice place ...
    Yes, painted stones are very popular at the moment!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love visiting little ole towns with lots of character. Just gives me a 'homey' feeling.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.