October 31, 2016

Halloween Surprises

October is over already! I have a bunch of pictures for Halloween so here we go, using the Random-osity format.

The Good:  When I spotted this farm near Kernstown and pulled over to take a picture, I was pleased to see they were open to the public. I thought perhaps it was a pumpkin patch, but it turned out that they sell organic items. 
Hedgebrook Farm
We drove up the lane to take a closer look and I was delighted to see murals on the barns!


There was even a giant apple painted with farm pictures! The nearby city of Winchester has a parade of apples — giant ones painted with different symbols.

The Random: Here's a really old snapshot I found today from when my daughters were kids.


The Fun: Halloween is a fun holiday for most folks and one thing that has surprised me in recent years is how intensely people are decorating for it. The town of Woodstock (VA) has a pumpkin head competition and some local businesses and even public services have gone all out!

I made up a collage to show many of these in a small space. Click on it to see a larger version.

Here's one more collage of some miscellaneous pictures. By the way, we didn't have any trick-or-treaters again this year. There are kids in the neighborhood but their parents take them to organized events.


10 comments:

  1. Oh yes, Halloween is a silly, fun time! Lovely barns Linda. Thanks for being here, please stop back again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos Linda. Halloween has changed since I was a kid. More community events happening now than in the old days. It's good for kids and safer.
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't carve my pumpkin, I guess it is a Thanksgiving decoration now

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the giant apple painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute farm! Love all the paintings. Cute pic of your kids with their pumpkins - such happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really going all out on Hallowe'en decor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the murals--especially the scenes painted on the giant apple. We had no trick-or-treaters here either. It seems like the trend here is to attend community events too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to see the picture of your kids ...
    I love the mosaic too.

    Good wishes for the month of November

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are such a rural area that most kids go to organized events as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when people decide to decorate their own walls. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.