April 17, 2008

Icon

I added a "favicon" to my blog. You should be able to see it in the address bar at the top of the screen (if that line isn't hidden in your preferences). It looks like this little picture only smaller, and it's a ico (icon) file instead of a gif.

I made the little picture in Photoshop as a 64x64 pixel image. It needed to be half that size (figured I could shrink it) and the dot ico file is not a standard option in Photoshop CS3. However, you can download an add-on that saves your picture as an icon. I did that and resized the image to 32x32, then saved as an ico.

Next I needed to upload the icon to a server that accepts that format. No problem. My Javins.com page (hosted on Virtual Avenue) did not have a favicon so I put it there and made it do double-duty by calling up the icon in the header code:
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="favicon.ico">

For this blog, I opened the template and added a similar line, expanding the HREF path to the site where the file resides, and typing in a closing slash to make it XHTML-compliant. For clear instructions see Tips for New Bloggers.

2 comments:

  1. Your favicon is so much prettier than mine. I am going to have to do some upgrading now I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eventually it stopped showing up. That turned out to be because Google didn't trust anything linked from http: instead of https: so I updated the link and it came back.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.