December 16, 2007

Using Paypal Protection

I used Paypal's Buyer Protection to get my money back on an Ebay item. It took a while to go through the dispute process but eventually my $11.98 was credited back to me. It was a lot of trouble considering the small amount of money, but there was a principal involved.

The auction took place in September. I purchased a cell phone charger but when it arrived, it was not the one described and pictured. I emailed the seller and told him I was returning the item. Of course I paid a little extra at the post office and got a delivery confirmation. Several days after the item was delivered to the seller, I emailed him again... and again. No response.

Paypal requires that you open a dispute within 45 days of the original transaction in order to use their guarantee. So when the deadline approached, I opened the dispute. This action sends a message to the seller letting him know and giving him a chance to respond. Eventually he offered to refund a small portion of my money, but I held out for the whole amount. It was fortunate that I still had the post office tracking information; I had to submit it to Paypal so that they could verify that I returned the item. But finally I won my case.

I also left negative feedback for the seller on ebay. He retaliated by leaving negative feedback for me! Later he offered to retract it if I would retract mine. I did not. So I have one negative feedback.

2 comments:

  1. The seller uses the names Sandiskman, Cellularking, and XMRadioKing. He has 97% positive feedback so obviously he doesn't rip off everybody. Of course, a policy of leaving retaliatory feedback and then offering to retract it if you drop yours probably gets rid of a lot of negative scores and boosts his percentage. I see that he is a Square Trade Member and it looks like they actually encourage this sort of feedback trading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an appalling practice. You should write to eBay customer service!

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.